Once upon a time, when people did not have access to commercially made breads and pastries, they had to make everything at home. One of the most popular flat breads consumed in India is Roti – an unleavened bread which is made with wholegrain flours that is both wholesome and healthy. Missi Roti is a type of Roti that usually has many spices in it like red chili powder, cumin seed and turmeric, which are added to the dough. It is amazing when served with a saucy Indian dish and is perfect for sopping up extra sauce!
Traditionally, Missi Roti was made using several different varieties of grains, which were milled in stone grinders called chakkis by the women of the household. This results in a very nutrient dense, nourishing bread. The addition of spices like Turmeric and Fenugreek not only adds to the delicious taste of the bread, but provides it with a beautiful, brilliant colour and imparts health benefits, too!
This Missi Roti flatbread is so delicious! It is a staple in our household loved by both family and friends and is super easy to make.
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons amaranth flour
- 2 tablespoons split pea flour
- 2 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons millet flour
- 1 cup boiled, mashed potatoes
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup dried kale leaves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tablespoons mashed cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix all the flours together. You can add or subtract any flours based on your ingredients on hand (to total 1 ½ cups). If you are not gluten free, you can use up to 1 cup of spelt flour as well.
- Add all the other ingredients to the flours, and gently combine to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 4-6 equal parts, depending on your desired size. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to your desired thickness.
- Preheat a large skillet or frying pan on high heat. Once your pan is hot, place the rolled-out dough into the pan.
- After 30 seconds, flip the Missi Roti and cook it on the other side. After 1 minute, flip it again, and spread 1 teaspoon of olive oil onto the surface of the flatbread. Keep cooking until the bread browns slightly.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.
by Jyotsana Karl